4 December 2012

Esa-Pekka Salonen - Violin Concerto.

Do you all know that I love Esa-Pekka Salonen? Because I love Esa-Pekka Salonen (his name is great too). He's my favourite contemporary composer by far (sorry Adès) and also one of my favourite conductors. His music is absolutely phenomenal and I think it's a crime his pieces aren't performed more often. Thankfully there are some good recordings, and earlier this year his Grawmeyer-awardwinning Violin Concerto was released.

A couple of weeks ago I finally purchased the CD and I love the piece SO much. Also on the CD is a recording Nyx, another amazing orchestral piece. But seeing as I can't find that one on youtube (you should seriously find it on spotify or something though, it's up there with Foreign Bodies and Gambit as far as I'm concerned), here's the Violin Concerto, with Esa-Pekka conducting, Leila Josefowicz playing the solo part (the concerto was written for her) and Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France doing everything else (they have an awesome drummer):


Movements 1 'Mirage', 2 'Pulse I' and 3 Pulse II.


Movement 4 'Adieu'.



Other YPGTCM posts on Esa-Pekka Salonen: Foreign Bodies once, and Foreign Bodies again.

No comments:

Post a Comment